Sunday, November 05, 2006

Have you ever asked, "Is there a God?"

This is a question that I know deep within the core of my being the answer to. But, when asked...."How do I know? Really know?" Hmmm. I can't answer that. I guess that's what faith is all about. But, let me share a couple of thoughts I've been meaning to blog about since there really isn't much happening with our wait to Anna Grace.

Do you remember about a week or two ago, I shared about Scott's job and how things were going downhill quick? He was adamant about not being able to do the job on his own. He needed more manpower, he needed more time, and so on. He was ready to give it up, and then I came across the story of Gideon in scripture? Where this appearingly meaningless man was told by God to defeat armies of 100's of thousands with a mere 300 men? Well, God taught Scott a very good lesson this week. NOTHING is impossible with God. This past Friday was month's end for Scott. A crucial time during his work month where he sends to "corporate" the month's figures. Prior to Scott taking over this job 6 mos. ago, the company averaged about $50k monthly from this branch.
Friday night, over a glass of margarita and toasting to the Almighty God, we celebrated the fact that He Is God. Why, you ask? Because my husband, the man that told me just two weeks earlier that "this job could not be done", the man that said that "it was not humanly possible to complete the workload", the same man that said "I'm talking to corporate to say that I can't do this" was awestruck by the power of our Lord this week. Yes, he was right. Scott couldn't do it....BUT God could.
In a matter of a week, through God's grace and Scott letting go, God moved the mountains necessary for Scott to not only accomplish his workload, but to have a record breaking month of ::drum roll please:: $128,000!!!! Yes, he more than doubled what the average monthly intake was. Thank you, Lord...again, we give you the glory because we know that it was ALL you!

That leads me to something else I wanted to share. Adam, my middle son, has moved over from Miami to our neck of the woods. It's great having him close by. As you all know, we are Catholic. My heart is very open to other denominations and I truly believe that the Lord will not shut the doors to heaven if you are not Catholic. My son, although raised Catholic, had been attending a Christian church in Miami. When he arrived here, he asked about Christian churches in the area. I said I would go with him to check 'em out so he wouldn't go alone.
This morning, the two of us grabbed our bibles and headed out the door to a church that a friend of Amanda's attends. It was a nice welcome we received as many people, not knowing who we were, came up to us and said, "Aaah...a new face in the crowd. Welcome!" I must say that although it didn't have the "essence" of what my heart and soul needs, the Eucharist, I really enjoyed it and will probably join him often for the praise and worship, bible study, and fellowship of other Christians.
Now, this leads me to the title question, "IS THERE A GOD?" That was the question they asked today. They talked a bit about the Big Bang theory, about evolution and the same typical arguments that Christians have with non-believers. But one small story that was shared really made me think. (And again, I never, ever have doubted that there is a God. He has shown himself to me over and over and over again by his love and actions!) I digress.
The story was about a liberal college professor teaching a course. He stood in a lecture hall full of students. The teachings that day led to believing in God. "Has anyone ever seen him?", the professor asked. "How can you believe in something that doesn't exist, something that's never been proven?". Then this all-knowing (or so he thinks) professor, took off his wristwatch and said to the attentive students, "If there is a God, I will give him 1 minute to strike me dead!" Silence filled the lecture hall. You could have heard a pin drop as each second ticked by. Everyone awaited a lighting bolt to strike the cocky professor. Then, a minute passed. Nothing. No lighting bolt, no shocks. Just a man's loud laugh echoing through the hall filled with silence, then followed by the gloating words of "I guess there's no God, huh?"

Well, in the midst of these students, sat a journalist. This journalist worked for the NY Times. This man thought deeply about the actions of the professor for quite a while. A couple of weeks later, he put an article in his paper....same story, this one with a twist. There were two ants walking through the desert. As they walked, something was shining in the horizon. Finally, they arrived at the shining objects. Out of nowhere, appeared two huge silver rivets. One ant asked, "What is this?" The second ant said, "Don't be silly, this is the famous Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway." The first ant laughed and said, "This is not a railway. I only see something shiny." The second ant insisted. "It is! I've heard about it. There is no doubt that this is the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway."
So, the first ant mustered up strength and slowly climbed what seemed to be a giant peak to the top of the shiny rivet. The 2nd ant struggled behind him. When he got to the top, he said, "OK. We'll see if this is truly the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. If it is, then I will give one minute for a train to come by and squash us!" The 2nd ant stood by nervously, knowing in his heart that this indeed was the famous railway. With eyes shut, he waited to be trampled by the oncoming train. After a long while, he looked down at his wristwatch (yes...these ants had watches! LOL!) and noticed that the minute had long passed. Nothing happened!!
The journalist continued with his article and the reason that brought me to write about this. Can you imagine the President of Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway sitting in his office on the 60th floor of a San Francisco skyscraper, being told that two ants were discussing whether he and his railway truly existed? Should he have spent a second of his time sending out a train to squash the ant who needed proof? Of course not! Well, the same goes for our great God. He is the omnipotent, God of the universe. The King of Kings. Do you think that he needs to prove to us that He is God?
I thought about the students in the lecture hall waiting for "lightning to strike". I know that I, for one, would definitely have loved to see it just so that I could have had the opportunity to say, "I told you so!" But, our God is way too big for that. He is not here to conform to our disbeliefs. We are here to conform to His truths. And that my friends is called.....FAITH!
Have a blessed evening!

No comments: