Friday, February 02, 2007

Coming Out Of The Closet

Hmmm...you wonder. What is she babbling about now? Well, I could just kick myself. I had no clue that there was a "National De-Lurking Day!" I found out today. Yep folks! For those that really don't have much to fill their time with and legally stalk, umm...I mean lurk, through cyberspace, there is a day of the year when you can come out and say..."Hey, I've been watching you!!!"

So, what's a lurker? Well, it' probably most of us...yes, me included! It is the term used on the internet for people who read blogs, join newsgroups or chat rooms and don't participate. They are avid readers from behind the cyber peephole.

For the third year in a row, on January 8, people from all over the world came out of the closet and left comments revealing their addictions to other's lives. In a way, I could breathe a sigh of relief because if that's the case, and I expect my faithful readers to leave comments and come out of the closet, I'd have to do it myself. Oohhhh, scary, I know! But, those faithful readers are usually the ones that email me and or leave comments, anyways!

I still frequently check my "who's been on my blog" list and I love seeing the same people. Funny how the flows come in a pattern. I have really frequent readers that check my blog 2 - 3 times a day, and then those that check daily, those that check every few days, and even some weekly readers. I even have new ones that have never been on, yet decide to keep watching.

I don't know what it is about reading a total stranger's life that just pulls us in. Maybe it's because we do have the ability to hide in the shadows as we "live" people's lives with them. Sometimes it's much greener on the other side, and there are some other blogs that I think to myself...."Yikes! I'm so thankful for my life!". There is one particular blog that I read (not public so I can't post it here) who seems like its out of a soap opera. Really! Oh my gosh, the drama in this womans life! Yet, like a train wreck, it's something that I am just compelled to go to....DAILY!


It's odd, too, that I lurk. To me, lurkers just seem like the ones that sit at the back of the classroom and listen. I, with my outspoken mouth, always sat at the front of the class, the first pews in church and the front rows at concerts. Why? I dunno. I get totally lost and distracted when I'm in the back. So, there. Something new you learned about me. I don't think it came as a big surprise, though.

I've totally digressed. Going back to missing De-Lurking Day. If anyone else wants to come out of the shadows, go for it! It's easy! All you have to do is hit that "comment" key. It's like jumping into a cold pool, once your in, it's great!!


That's it for now. I just thought I'd share my new found knowledge about De-Lurking Day with ya'll. I'm off to finish cutting my squares and putting together my wishes for my quilt swap! Have a Happy Belated De-Lurking Day! Hope to hear from you soon!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Sara from lanechinaadoption.blogspot.com
I check in every once in a while to see if you have any news!! Can't wait to watch your trip to China!!!

Anonymous said...

Me again...as you already know still a faithful lurker....from NB,Canada

ourjourneytobabym.blogspot.ca

Anonymous said...

Wrong link....it is ourjournytobabym.blogspot.com(new at the blogging world)lol

NB,Canada
p.s.a pro at the lurking world....lol