Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas thru the eyes of a child

I cannot even put into words what trimming the tree and putting together our Christmas decorations was like this year, especially with Kai. As each large box (close to 20 of them!) was being taken down from the attic and hauled by "Santa's helpers", Adam & Amanda, into the living room, his eyes would get wider and wider. He had that same curious look that I first saw in our little boy 8 months ago in a government office in Hangzhou, China. This time, without the fear. Then, as the boxes were being opened, and ribbons, ornaments, and decorations were being distributed throughout the room, with Christmas carols playing in the background, the excitement grew! He definitely recognizes Santa now and just kept running from decoration to decoration. The tree at first wasn't a big deal, until Daddy tested the lights on it, then the look of awe, in both AJ & Kai's eyes, was inspiring. To see Christmas thru the eyes of a child, can we ask for anything more? As I was enjoying the moment that I have waited so very long for, it was hard not to think about Anna Grace and how she would be mesmerized by the same things the boys were experiencing. But I know, it's all in God's time, and next year, she will be here and our family will be complete. I have posted a few pictures of our home Christmas decorations. Amanda says it's like walking into Macys. :)

I still do have to take a picture of the outside lit up at night. Scott did a fantastic job and Kai and AJ go out there every night and marvel at the giant Santa and the sleigh with the reindeers. Every year I want to set up a big nativity set outside with a large stable and all of the figures of Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus and the entire entourage, incuding sheep, cows and the 3 wise men. But, alas...money is never sufficient to buy them all at once, so the dream continues.

Before I finish, I wanted to comment on what to me is just such a blessing. We all know at the Bombardier household that if Kai is awake and there is silence that he is DEFINITELY up to something. Well, going back to Sunday when we were putting up the decorations, I have several nativity scenes inside, but one specifically stands out. It was a gift from my sister a couple of years ago and it's a beautiful, handcrafted ceramic scene of the Holy Family surrounded by the three wise men. I took Kai over to see it and I pointed out "Baby Jesus". Kai knows without a doubt who Jesus is because of the many times that we pray together. He recognizes him as the resurrected Christ, Christ on the crucifix, and even as the Sacred Heart. But, he's never seen Jesus as a "baby". I didn't expect him to associate the two. So, when I told him, "Look, Kai. This is Jesus when he was a little baby". He gave me a bit of a baffled look and slid out of my arms and back to where the Santa dolls were. We left it at that.

Last night, Scott and I were in the office and all of a sudden, I notice the silence. It's hard with 3 kids in the house for there to be silence, but AJ was asleep and Amanda was in her room. Kai was ummmm..... up to something! So, I figured I'd "catch him in the act". I quietly get up and tip-toe thru the house to see where he could be. It's usually my room and pulling stuff out of drawers, but this time we had the sneaky suspicion that he'd be pulling ornaments off the tree, since it was now a novelty. The house was dark except for the office and the living room that was lit by the glow of the tree lights and all of the decorations. As we quietly make our way into the living room, I peek from around the corner towards the tree. Hmmm...no Kai.

Then, I look over to my left where the big nativity scene is, and there KNEELING before the baby Jesus, was our little boy. My eyes watered as I saw that he was on his knees, eyes closed, and little hands clasped together in prayer. Does he pray? Who knows...but I know the Lord sees it. I am once again humbled to think that Scott and I were chosen and allowed the honor to teach him about Christ. He then heard us and opened his eyes and did his version of the sign of the cross (takes his little right hand and puts it to his forehead and then his lips). I said thru tears, "Kai, were you praying?" He nodded. I swept him up and thanked God for allowing me to see Christmas, the true meaning of it, the birth of our Savior, thru the eyes of a child, His child.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohilda,

Oh my what a tearjerker! Why is it I can not read one of your post without tears? ;) What a beautiful sight that must have been. Give sweet Kai a hug for me.


Tammy

Janette said...

I love the pictures! Reminds me so much of when Shawn & Aaron were babies and loved seeing mom's tree light up. For Hanukkah we decorate but, it's nothing like Christmas. Have a Merry Christmas.
Love ya, Janette