Sunday, December 31, 2006

Wonderful Memories

Exactly one year ago today, at a little after 2:00 p.m., Scott sat across from me at a Chinese restaurant in Miami. I can still, a year later, hear his words clearly in my mind. "Please don't get mad at me, but what do you think about calling J. (the girl that told us about AJ's birthmom) and asking her if that baby is still available!"

I couldn't believe it, because it had only been a couple of weeks before when I was approached about this girl's pregnancy and the possibility of us adopting domestically when Scott adamantly said "No! We just found our son (Kai) and we will have our hands full. We agreed to only adopting one, and we both have agreed about the horrors of adopting domestically." I sat at the restaurant table almost in disbelief of the words I had just heard. Mad? Was he crazy? After the intial shock of his question, I came back to reality and within seconds, I was dialing our "intermediary" and asking if the birthmom would still be interested and if the baby was still available. The response I got was "I don't know since she told me she was going to an agency to have the baby placed." I remember being so very nervous and asking her to PLEASEEEEEEE get back to me as soon as possible. When I got off the phone we said a quick prayer that God's will be done (and of course, I added a little bit of ..."Lord, and if at all possible, may your will be that this be our baby!" We were in no way prepared for a newborn and had no clue if it was a boy or a girl. Maybe if AJ would have been a girl, we'd never be going back to China. God is so good! Sorry...digressed.

It was New Year's eve so I was sure everyone involved was busy with their party plans. Later that evening around 6 pm, I got a call back on my cell phone that said, "Yes! She never went thru the arrangements with the agency and the baby is still available. She is very happy that you guys are interested!" Interested? Oh my gosh! I was ready for her to deliver the baby that day!

As in all of our adoptions, this is another one of those amazing God stories of Him leading us to our babies. With AJ, God was busy working on both sides. We found out afterwards that the birthmother had received all the paperwork from the agency, but it was too voluminous and she had put off writing it all out and sending it back. THAT WAS GOD!! After Scott's initial reaction of saying NO, God must've placed 5 newborns in a two week period in our path. Everywhere we went, there was a newborn baby. The topper? That same morning, we went to visit a friend in Miami who had a 2 year old little boy, but and lo and behold, there in her living room when we walked in, was a 2 week old baby boy who had been dropped off for her to watch. While I played with her older little boy, Scott held the newborn.....and I just know that it was at that moment that God spoke to his heart.

The end of the journey, as you all know, is that less than 3 months later, we were holding our beautiful son, Arthur Joseph Bombardier, whom we lovingly call "AJ". He has been an incredible blessing in our lives and has filled our every day with unending joy. Thank you, Lord!


No comments: