Saturday, March 17, 2007

I miss you dearly, Abuela Fefa!

The Broken Cord

We little knew that morning that God was going to call your name.
In life we loved you dearly, In death we do the same.
It broke our hearts to lose you, You did not go alone;
For part of us went with you, The day God called you home.
You left us peaceful memories,Your love is still our guide;
And though we cannot see you, You are always at our side.
Our family chain is broken, And nothing seems the same;
but as God calls us, one by one, the Chain will link again.

Author Unknown.

These two little people in the picture above with me are my wonderful and greatly missed grandparents, Abuela Fefa & Pipo. Today is the 5th anniversary of my grandmother's death. She died on her 90th birthday, St. Patrick's Day. I miss this wonderful lady so very much in my life. She was truly like a mother to me. There's not a time I remember growing up when she wasn't in my life. As I grew, she took care of us while my parents worked. She filled us with joy, laughter and very strict discipline at times, yet the love she had for us was always so evident. She was a funny lady, and always such a hardworker. I'd love to hear stories about her growing up and the hardships that she faced, leaving her home at 13 years old and having to move to the city to help with money for the family. She became a maid and then would sew for people in the evenings to try and mak ends meet. She'd tell me stories about how growing up in the country in Cuba she'd seen so many changes. She grew up with no water or electricity, but life was always good. At 27 years old, she married my grandfather, Pipo, as we used to call him. They together, all 4'11 of each of them, had hearts bigger than I could ever hope to have. They were inseparable, almost to the day they died....3 months apart.

She was an AMAZING grandmother, but being a great-grandmother is what meant the world to her. My children were her children. She'd care for them while I went to work, never taking a cent from me although many times I tried, she always refused. She cooked for them, bathed them and loved them to no end. On weekends, after having seen them all week, she'd call with excuses of having made meals for them and I just HAD to travel across town because she wanted to see them and I certainly couldn't leave her meals sitting at the table. She made the best Cuban steak I've ever had. And oh my gosh, her rice pudding was to die for! Oh, I miss her so very much!!!!!! I wish Kai & AJ would have gotten to know her. I could just hear her bragging about her new babies.

Abuela Fefa, I know that the void in my life for you is only temporary. I know that right now you are with our Lord and Savior, singing His praises and rejoicing with the angels. Someday, I will be there with you and we will be singing together. I know that you & Pipo watch over all of us, especially the kids. My heart tells me that you would love AJ & Kai, and even Anna Grace so very much, although I could probably see you having been one of those telling me "why are you getting into such an ordeal?" But, regardless of whatever I did while you were here on earth, you ALWAYS supported me and you ALWAYS loved me to no end, as I loved you.

Happy birthday today, St. Patrick's Day, and know that there is rarely a day that goes by that I don't think about you and honor you in my thoughts. I love you and miss you so much! Thank you for a lifetime of wonderful memories. I pray that someday I can be the same grandmother to my grandchildren as you were to yours.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohilda,

What a beautiful poem. You favor your Grandmother so much! She sounds like a wonderful, golden-hearted person. What a joy to have had her in your life.

Sending you hugs!
April

Anonymous said...

Ohilda,
I was with some friends last night for St. Patrick's Day and all we could talk about was our grandparents and their simple lifestyles, and how good life was when they were with us. How amazing that you were thinking about your grandparents at the same time!!! Our connections, big and small are certainly God sent!
Love
Peg

Anonymous said...

Ohilda,

Your grandmother sounds like she was a wonderful person and grandmother. You look so much like her, both very beautiful :)

(((HUGS)))
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Your Grandmother sounds like she was a wonderful person,just like you do.

from
NB,Canada